An updated version of the SEC has been published to implement a designation by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
Device Level Versioning
BEIS published a response to its consultation of 18 June 2020 on changes to the SEC Technical Specifications and Subsidiary Documents that it proposed to designate or re-designate for inclusion into the SEC. It proposed including these changes in September 2020 (including to give effect to Device Level Versioning) and November 2020 alongside the November 2020 SEC Release. These changes are needed to support relevant changes to energy licences and the main body of the SEC that BEIS has previously consulted and concluded on. Included with the consultation response are directions to (re)designate relevant Subsidiary Documents on 19 September 2020 and to suspend elements of the variations to Section L such that they do not take immediate effect on 19 September.
The BEIS consultation response and accompanying annexes can be found here.
XML signing Certificates
Extensible Markup Language (XML) signing Certificates have also been introduced to the SEC.
A Direction has been made by the Secretary of State under the provision in SEC Section X3.1 meaning these changes will not come into effect until 29 November 2020 (November 2020 SEC Release).
More information on this Direction can be found in Annex B found here.
What parts of the SEC were affected?
- SEC Section A ‘Definitions and Interpretation’
- SEC Section F ‘Smart Metering System Requirements’
- SEC Section G ‘Security’
- SEC Section H ‘DCC Services’
- SEC Section K ‘Charging Methodology’
- SEC Section L ‘Smart Metering Key Infrastructure and DCC Key Infrastructure’
- SEC Section N ‘SMETS1 Meters’
- SEC Section T ‘Testing During Transition’
- SEC Section X ‘Transition’
- SEC Section Z ‘Alt HAN Arrangements’
- SEC Schedule 9 ‘Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 1’ 1 Feb 2018
- SEC Schedule 9 ‘Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 2’ 1 Feb 2018
- SEC Schedule 9 ‘Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 2’ 8 Nov 2018
- SEC Schedule 9 ‘Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 2’ 4 Jul 2019
- SEC Schedule 11 ‘TS Applicability Tables’
- SEC Appendix L ‘SMKI Recovery Procedure’
Where can I access the redlining?
The redlined changes to these Section can be found on CodeWorks via the links below:
Our Document Log lists the versions of each SEC document now in effect following this release.
You can download the individual SEC documents from the SEC and Supporting Documents section of our website or via CodeWorks.
Where can I find further information?
If you have any questions, you can call the SECAS Helpdesk at 020 7090 7755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.